You guys know that I love to spend time in the South of France, particularly in Antibes, which is just a 3 hour car ride from my home in Italy… and today I am sharing a recipe that reminds me of that beautiful place: a Paleo and Nightshade Free Ratatouille !!
This delicious recipe is a courtesy of my friend Sophie Van Tiggelen, the blogger behind A Squirrel In The Kitchen and the author of the beautiful cookbook Simple French Paleo: Flavorful Allergen-Free Recipes for the Autoimmune Protocol.
“I wrote Simple French Paleo because I deeply believe that fresh, real food is at the heart of life.
Enjoying the pleasures of life is possible even if you are struggling with an autoimmune disease or chronic illness”.
(Sophie Van Tiggelen)
I remember leafing through the pages of Simple French Paleo one day I was in the US, when the book just came out… and looking at the wonderful photos of family lunches enjoyed outside and all those herbs sprinkled everywhere made me miss home terribly!!
This awesome cookbook features 90 recipes rooted in the French tradition all remade in their allergy-free version (no grains, no gluten, no legumes, no dairy, no eggs, no nuts or seeds, and no nightshades).
Here’s what you will find in Simple French Paleo
- A comprehensive introduction to the AIP diet
- Complete food lists detailing what to eat, what to avoid, and what to eat in moderation
- A detailed explanation of the four phases of reintroductions
- Essential lifestyle tips
- A complete how-to guide for setting up an AIP pantry at home
- Valuable extras: cooking timetables, conversion tables, and a handy steaming tutorial
- 90 mouth-watering, allergen-free recipes compliant with the strict elimination phase of AIP
- Full color photography, including many gorgeous shots of the incomparable Provence countryside.
Simple French Paleo is available on Amazon in print and Kindle versions, as well as as an ebook and if you’d love to learn more about how to bring family and friends together to enjoy delicious and nourishing food in the tradition of French Provençal cooking, you should definitely get a copy!
In the meantime, Sophie gave me permission to show you guys the delicious recipe for her Nightshade Free Ratatouille. You are going to love this!!
Nightshade Free Ratatouille (GF, Paleo, AIP)
- 1⁄4 cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium Golden Beets (about 1⁄2 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
- 3 medium Carrots (about 1⁄2 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large Yellow Onion (about 3⁄4 pound), peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 medium Yellow Summer Squash (about 1⁄2 pound), chopped
- 1 medium Zucchini (about 1⁄2 pound), chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh Rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fine Sea Salt
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium–low heat. Add beets, carrots, and garlic. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add onion, yellow squash, zucchini, oregano, rosemary, and sea salt. Continue cooking, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Check seasoning and adjust salt to taste. Serve hot or cold.
- Bon appétit!
NOTE: Add 10–15 minutes to the cooking time if you prefer your ratatouille well-done over crisp-tender.
I hope you’ll enjoy this Nightshade Free Ratatouille as much as I did and that going through the wonderful pages of Simple French Paleo will transport you to the most picturesque place in the world: the South of France!!
Ciao and I will catch you next week!!