Summer is the most perfect time to enjoy zucchini noodles. Here in Italy, produce is so good that many times I simply season my noodles with some extra virgin olive oil and don’t need anything else… But when I am craving a more filling and decadent dish… I opt for a grain free pesto noodle bowl that features free range fried eggs and sautéed Tuscan kale as well.
I often make this dish for lunch as it gives me lots of energy while leaving me light and alert.. and I love the contrast of colors and flavors in there!
CONFESSION: When I don’t have my own handmade pesto, I use an Italian store bought dairy free pesto called “Biffi” that’s absolutely delicious. Don’t get discouraged if you don’t have all the ingredients (or the time) to make pesto from scratch. Simply find a very good and clean store bought dairy free pesto… and when you do, please let me know which one you use in a comment below as I would love to try it too!
This recipe is paleo, free from grains, gluten and dairy, and Whole 30 compliant as well so I am sure it will soon become one of your favorites as well!
Grain Free Pesto Noodle Bowl (GF, DF, Paleo)
- 4 Large, Organic Zucchini
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free Pesto*
- 2 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 10 leaves Tuscan Kale, washed and chopped
- 1/6 White Onion, finely chopped
- 4 Free Range Eggs
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp dried Italian Herbs
- 1/4 tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1 pinch Himalayan Salt
Dairy Free Pesto
- 100 Basil
- 30 Pine Nuts
- 30 Cashews
- 4 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil (60 ml)
- 1/8 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1/8 tsp Himalayan Salt
To prepare the Dairy Free Pesto, blend all ingredients in a high speed blender or a grinder until you have a smooth cream; pour your pesto in a glass jar and add a thin layer of olive oil on the surface so it lasts longer.
- Grease a pan with 1 tsp of olive oil, brown the onion, toss in the kale and cook with the cover on for about 5 minutes, adding some water if needed.
- In the meantime, spiralize the zucchini and when your noodles are ready, stir fry them in a wok with the pesto for a couple minutes.
- Grease another pan with the remaining olive oil, crack in 4 eggs, sprinkle them with the spices and herbs and cook them with the lid on for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Mix zucchini noodles, kale and fried eggs and enjoy your grain free pest noodle bowl!!!
Now it’s on you: since I am an avid lover of zucchini noodles, I would love to know how you make them and get new ideas for fun seasonings and ingredients to match them with!
Let me know how like to eat them in a comment below and I will do my best to give it a try!
Big love from Italy and I will catch you next time!!