Today’s blog post is about an AIP Bolognese Sauce without nightshades and dairy that you can use to season your pasta or zucchini noodles (if you are opting for a lighter option).
Anybody who’s following the AIP (Auto Immune Protocol) diet knows how important it is to consume enough good quality grass fed meat and make sure we provide ourselves each day with nutrient dense foods, such as marrow bone broth, organ meats and omega 3 rich wild fish
Especially in the summer, this is not very easy to do. Who feels like cooking and eating heavy food when it’s so hot outside?!
Even cooking a simple steak seems overwhelming…
This recipe tricks your tastebuds (and your eyes as well) disguising a basic steak with zucchini into a delicious bowl of noodles with bolognese sauce that complies with all of the AIP standards. Best of all, it’s cold and quick to make as well!
Since all nightshades (and therefore tomatoes) are banned from the diet of those with auto immune issues, this Bolognese Sauce is flavored with other AIP approved veggies, lots of herbs and what I call my “savor saviors”: capers and olives, that always add a tasty kick to those AIP dishes that’s a bit hard to season…
AIP Bolognese Sauce with Zucchini Noodles
- 1 tbsp Garlic Olive Oil
- 10 leaves of Sage
- 1 sprig of Rosemary
- 1 sprig of Thyme
- 1/2 Yellow Onion
- 250 gr ground Chianina or Grass Fed Beef
- 15 Black Olives
- 1 tbsp Capers
- 1 Carrot, peeled
- 1/2 Zucchini
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1/4 tsp Himalayan Salt
- Water, as needed
- Heat up the olive oil in a medium sized pan.
- Wash and chop the herbs and the onion and toss them in the pan to fry.
- When they start sizzling, put in the ground beef and press it with a fork to break it down. Let it cook for a minute and then flip it upside down.
- Start adding the white wine a little bit a the time.
- In the meantime, cut the carrot and zucchini and put them in a food processor (I used a grinder) together with the olives and the capers. Pulse a few times until coarsely ground and transfer this vegetable mixture over the ground beef.
- Mix well, add some water, if needed, and let your AIP ragout cook for at least 25 minutes.
- When done you can use it season your pasta! In these photos I used some zucchini noodles which I quickly made by spiralizing 4 organic zucchini.
I hope you liked this recipe and if you know somebody who’s on the AIP diet and is striving to find good and satisfying recipes, make sure you share this Bolognese Sauce with them!
I send you a big kiss and I will catch you next time!! Ambra